It was really cold and rainy here the other day so it was perfect chili weather. I’ve been looking for a new red chili recipe because red beans (kidney beans) don’t sit so well with Branden…yes I know, I could just substitute for different beans or leave them out altogether with, but I like exploring my options. Honestly, I think from now on, this is going to be my go-to red chili. This thing is amazing and I am totally hooked on the beef chunks AND chorizo. Meat lovers rejoice!
This is kind of spicy from the chipotle peppers, so try cutting them in half for a milder chili if desired.
- 2 links Spanish chorizo sausage (about 6 1/2 ounces), thinly sliced (I used ground this time…it was easier)
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 (14-ounce) cans less-sodium beef stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- 1 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chorizo to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until browned. Remove chorizo from pan. Add half of beef to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Remove beef from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining beef. Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes.
Remove 4 chipotle chiles from can, and chop. Reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Add chorizo, beef, chopped chiles, tomato paste, and next 6 ingredients (through ground cumin) to pan, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in red wine, lime juice, beef broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Gradually stir in masa harina. Add pinto beans and black beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
Adapted from Cooking Light