For those of you who haven’t noticed, I am all about a quick weeknight dinner that tastes like I slaved over it for hours. Don’t get me wrong, I love to cook so I don’t mind spending hours on end in the kitchen, but sometimes I’m just whooped by the time I get home from work and errands at 6:30 on most weeknights. Since I don’t exactly want to be eating dinner at 10 p.m., I rely heavily on easy weeknight dinners that taste great…like this one. This was a major hit with Branden, too (who said we “definitely are making this again”). Now that I moved away from “diet” recipes and have been focusing on more well rounded, high protein and high fiber recipes (packed with lots of flavor), I’ve had a much happier husband. Lesson learned.
This recipe is delicious and a tad spicy which is nice. I served it over jasmine rice (mostly because I like the flavor and texture better than plain white rice), but use whatever you’d like. Other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing!
- 1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice (or other long-grained rice)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1/2 c. dry red wine
- 2 TBS. capers (drained)
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks, heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, saute 3 minutes or until tender. Combine chicken and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a bowl. Add chicken mixture to skillet; saute 4 minutes. Stir in wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Serve over rice.