Now for the final installment of the BBQ posts from the 4th of July! Congrats on making it through…may we reward you with some yummy BBQ sauce?!?
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons southern style hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. Saute the onions, garlic, and oregano until translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, ketchup, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, honey, brown sugar, hot sauce, paprika, cayenne, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then lower heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 1 hour 30 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasoning and heat to desired taste.
Yield: about 3 cups