Hooray for another quick and easy weeknight dinner that’s delicious. I first made this dinner while Branden wasn’t home because I wasn’t sure that he’d be super keen about a dinner without meat. I loved it and to my dismay, he came home and ate all the leftovers, complaining that there weren’t more. So now when I make this dish, I make a double batch so he can have multiple sandwiches and I can pack my lunch.
- 1 small Haas avocado
- 2 TBS fat-free sour cream
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 TBS minced red onion
- 2 TBS fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (15.5 oz. can)
- 1/4 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 c. plain, dried bread crumbs
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 TBS chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 4 pitas, 7-inch
- To make the sauce, mash the avocado in a small bowl. Add the sour cream, tomato, onion, lime juice, and salt, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- Mash the beans in a large bowl. Add the Monterey Jack, bread crumbs, scallions, cilantro, egg white, and cumin, stirring to mix well. With damp hands, form the mixture into 4 patties
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Cut off the top third of each pita and reserve for another use. Stuff each pita with a falafel patty and top with about 2 TBS of the avocado sauce.
We also like to jam some peppery arugula or mixed greens in the pita, too!