Branden and I love pizza on the grill! It’s so versatile and its a great crowd pleaser when friends come into town. Its simple to throw together on the grill with a little prep as soon as folks arrive in the evening. Some of our favorite varieties are Giuseppe (an Italian pizza with peppers, tomatoes, and spicy sausage – recipe to follow at another time), Margherita, and BBQ Chicken.
Now I know what you’re thinking…this can’t be easy. Branden and I have a tiny Weber Q100 (the small Weber Q) and do just fine. And have no fear to those of you who are intimidated by bread baking…Pillsbury has pre-made, refrigerated pizza dough that not only saves time, but tastes great too. I do enjoy making pizza dough, but let’s be honest, I don’t always have time to let it rise for over an hour when I get home from work in the evenings, so pre-made dough is like manna from heaven.
I’ll be sharing some more pizza-on-the-grill recipes as summer continues, so stay tuned! Until then, enjoy some BBQ!
- 1 pizza crust (homemade or refrigerated)
- 3/4 c. BBQ sauce (we like Sticky Finger’s Tennessee Whiskey for its intense flavor and bit of a kick)
- 1/2 lb. grilled chicken breast
- 1/4 of a red onion, chopped
- 1/4 lb peppered bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
- 2 c. finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- The key is low and slow here!! Preheat your grill on low and place the pizza crust directly on the grates. Grill crust until it starts to brown on the bottom and become slightly firm. The key and pre-cooking here. Once browned, flip the crust.
- Top with BBQ sauce, chicken, bacon, and red onion before smothering with cheese. Close the grill and let cook, about 5-7 minutes longer. Make sure to keep the grill low as you don’t want to burn the bottom of the pizza before the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Besides the low-and-slow rule, another key is making sure your toppings are prepared before you start grilling your crust.