I had some leftover veggies in the fridge from dinner earlier this week and some leftover egg whites from making homemade ice cream (at least my diet is balanced, right?), so I whipped up this dish which turned out quite delicious…in fact, I may intentionally make this again in the near future. This was obviously super easy and great for a weeknight dinner. Added bonus? You’re looking at around 230 calories for the whole thing…and look at the portion size!
In case you haven’t picked up on it yet based on a lot of my meals being healthy, my doc changed my diet again recently due to high cholesterol thanks to my not-exactly-working thyroid. That being said, I’m now supposed to be eating only 1,400 calories a day (yikes!) for the next few months. Its been a week and I haven’t passed out yet, but there are some days that I’m absolutely starving! I’m really trying to skinny down my meals and portion sizes to make sure that I have a balanced diet without sacrificing my favorite foods. Wish me luck! I think stepping up my calories burned might help me so I can splurge every once in awhile…look out gym, I’m going to be becoming a permanent fixture…
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 3/4 c. chopped zucchini
- 1/4 c. chopped red onion
- 1/2 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 5 egg whites
- 1 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and spices and saute until tender. Set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, add egg whites and cook until almost set before flipping.
- Plate finished frittata and pour vegetable mixture over top. Sprinkle with goat cheese.