To say that Branden and I love Thai food would be a huge understatement. We love to go out for Thai and we really enjoy cooking it in our home as well. Often when we make Thai for dinner, we add this sweet little addition for dessert (and I can vouch that it makes for a yummy breakfast treat the next morning, too). I was recently telling one of my friends that I share recipes with about this simple dessert and decided that I might as well share it with everyone else, too.
This recipe is about as easy as it gets in terms of good desserts and I highly suggest that you serve it with mango as suggested- it really does make it even better. My other major tip is that you do NOT under any circumstances use fat free coconut milk. Trust me, this is one of those things where it is better to just accept the fact that the dish is fat-laden and move on. If you use fat free coconut milk instead of regular, you’re going to miss out on a lot of flavor. This is a mistake I made only once!
Believe it or not, I got this recipe off of a box of Taste of Thai jasmine rice years ago and it continues to be one of my favorite recipes for coconut sticky rice. Enjoy!
- In a medium saucepan bring 1 3/4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice and briefly stir. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 15 minutes or until water is just absorbed.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, combine Coconut Milk, sugar and salt. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add the hot Coconut Milk sauce to the cooked rice. Stir until mixed.
- Lightly press plastic wrap onto mixture in saucepan to cover. Let rest 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Peel and slice the mangoes.
- With large spoon or ice cream scoop, spoon the sticky rice onto plates and garnish with mango slices.